Obesity is a condition explained in medical sciences as the one wherein excess body fat gets accumulated to an extent that it gives rise to many more health issues. The body mass index (BMI) is used as a measurement to categorize obesity and is measured as the individual’s weight divided by the square of the individual’s height. If the result of this calculation is over 30 kg/m2, the person is considered as obese. Obesity could be a genetic condition in many cases, however, it is mostly due to excessive and unhealthy consumption of food and lack of exercise. Some patients are diagnosed with obesity due to side effects to medication, mental illness, endocrine disorders etc. If the condition persists for a longer period of time, people are prone to suffer diseases like cancer, osteoarthritis, type 2 diabetes, heart diseases etc. The usual symptoms of obesity are increased body weight due to increased body fat, fatigue, breathlessness, lethargy, excessive body odor and sweating.
In Ayurveda, obesity is known as Medarog and is caused by an imbalance of the Kapha Dosha. We, at Green Gram Wellness Village, identify the prakriti of our guests before we chart a detailed programme. We recommend modifications to the diet, the exercise routine and prescribe ayurvedic therapies to treat the ailments by balancing the doshas. Imbalance in kapha dosha results in toxin production in the body. These toxins circulate through the blood stream and settle down in those channels that have become weak over the time. These toxins block the fat channels and this makes the body produce more fat tissue thus resulting in increase in the body weight. The programme we plan includes diet and therapies to unblock and cleanse these fat channels to promote weight loss in a healthy and organic way.
Ayurvedic therapies – At Green Gram Wellness Village, we use herbs like Bibhitaka, Haritaki, Amla, Kumbhajatu etc. to prepare ayurvedic medicines to treat obesity. We would also recommend one or a combination of the following massages as therapy for the patients.
- Udvartanam –Udvartanam is a process wherein fragrant herbal powders are massaged all over the body. We, at Green Gram Wellness Village, choose our herbs carefully to inculcate various natural anti-septic, anti-inflammatory, holistic healing and rejuvenating properties. We carefully massage the mixture of our herbal powders on the patient’s body. The herbs we choose help liquefy and mobilize the fat tissues and balance the Vata dosha.
- Podikizhi without oil – Podikizhi is a technique of an ayurvedic massage with herbal mixture. We, at Green Gram Wellness Village, combine about 12 chosen herbs and herbal roots, roast them together with salt, coconut and lemon juice and bundle them up in muslin cloth boluses. We heat these bundles again but do not dip them in a mixture of medicated herbal oils. We then test the patient’s tolerance level to the temperature of the bundles and press and scrub the bundles in a specific action on the patient’s body. The herbs that we choose are the ones with intensely strong hot potency that helps reduce pain and inflammation, promote sweating and detoxification.
- Dhanyamla Sarvanga Dhara – In this therapy, we use a special mixture prepared at Green Gram Wellness Village. The mixture is a concoction of fermented liquids and handpicked medicinal herbs heated to a certain temperature. The warm liquids make the patients sweat which promotes weight loss to a great extent.
- Utsadanam – Here, we massage the patient with a special paste prepared from herbal powders in specific movements that enable liquefying the body fat and bring about weight loss.
- d. Yogavasti – Yoga Vasti is a combination of five Sneha Vasti and three Kashaya Vasti.
- Sneha Vasti – Sneha Vasti is a process of Ayurvedic enema. At Green Gram Wellness Village, we pay close attention to maintaining hygienic conditions for the patients. So we ask the patient to take a warm water bath before beginning the process of Sneha Vasti. We make necessary arrangements to ensure the patient is comfortably lying down on a cot with one thigh folded and the second extended. The mixture of oils required for this process is a concoction of carefully chosen oils from our 22 years of research and experience in the field. The specialist applies some oil to the rectum area and introduces a lubricated enema nozzle filled with our medicated herbal oils into the rectum very carefully and skillfully while massaging the abdomen. We let the patient lie comfortably till the oils are expelled from the system. We observe the patient and advise food intake accordingly.
- Kashaya Vasti – Kashaya Vasti – Kashaya Vasti is an ayurvedic enema technique. We, at Green Gram Wellness Village, prepare a mixture of herbs, rock salt, honey and oils and pour it in a leather sac and heat the sac by immersing it in hot water. We then tie the sac carefully to a vastiyantra (an instrument used to carry out enema). At this stage, we have the necessary oils and the instrument ready to carry out the process of enema. We always make arrangements to ensure the patients are comfortable prior to and during the process and ask the patient to lie down on his back while our experienced specialist introduces the herbal mixture via the instrument carefully and skillfully into the anus of the patient. We allow the patients to continue lying down comfortably till they experience an urge to pass stool. Post a clear bowel movement, we request our patient to take a warm water bath and consume digestible food.
- Diet – At Green Gram Wellness Village, we take special care to exclude oily and fried foods from the menu. Hence foods like butter, cheese, chocolates etc. are avoided completely and we include foods that are high on protein and low carbohydrates in the menu. Fresh fruits, vegetables, fresh juices, whole grain breads and spices that are high in nutrition and act as anti-oxidants are extensively included in the diet.
- Exercise routines – At Green Gram Wellness Village, we ensure you get the much required physical activity and more so the rest that is required for your body to heal faster. Yoga asanas are highly beneficial to curb weight issues and treat patients of obesity. Asanas like Kapal Bhati (breathing technique), Ardha Matsyendrasana (the sitting half spinal twist), Naukasana (the boat pose), Dhanurasana (the bow pose), Sarwangasana (the shoulderstand), Trikonasana (the triangle pose), Poorvottanasana (the upward plank pose) etc. are highly recommended to patients suffering from obesity.